Sunday, April 25, 2010

Training Review 3

This week was a recovery week. Considering I've gone from maybe 3-4 runs a week with no plan of what I was doing to a focused 5-day/week training plan, I've totally blown the 10% rule over the past 3-4 weeks. However, considering my focus is on ultra-running with the inclusion of walking breaks and long, slow miles, I don't feel too bad and I'm comfortable that I'm not over training.

I've also begun experimenting with nutrition while on the run. Even though the long runs are still fairly mild, I felt it best to start incorporating some plan for maintaining energy levels once the miles start building up. This week, I tried CLIF Shot Blocks. I've used gels in the past and will be trying E-Gels in the near future, but I like the shot blocks for being able to fine tune intake with smaller portions.

During my run on Saturday I took one block every 2 miles with a couple swallows of water and I was able to maintain a steady pace up all of the hills that I'd previously had to walk. Was this the caffeine and carbs providing me the energy or simply my getting into better shape. At this stage it was probably the latter, but once the long run miles go over 20, I'll be depending on the extra carbs.


Here is last week`s training review:

Monday: full rest

Tuesday: Run 55 mins on slightly rolling terrain

Wednesday: Run 88 mins on slightly rolling terrain

Thursday: full rest

Friday: Run 57 mins on slightly rolling terrain

Saturday: Run 89 mins on slightly rolling terrain (Rain)

Sunday: Run 54 mins on slightly rolling terrain while fighting 20 mph headwinds over most of the last half

No comments:

Post a Comment